Dr Darryl John Joseph Britto
MBBS, MRCPsych, CHSM
Graduated in Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) with the Bal Chintoba Prize in Forensic Medicine from BJ Medical College, Pune, India, Dr Britto is a Qualified Medical Practitioner, registered with the General Medical Council (GMC), London. He is a Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK (MRCPsych, 1991). Accorded status of a Specialist in Psychiatry by the GMC, under the European Specialist Medical Qualifications Order, 1995. Approved by the Secretary of State UK under Section(12) of the Mental Health Act, 1983, in having special expertise and knowledge in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders. Member of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) and Member of EMDR Association UK & Ireland.
Present appointments: Consultant Psychiatrist at BMI Huddersfield Hospital; Consultant Clinical Advisor to Vitality Health UK; Member of The Board of Trustees of Anxiety UK and Managing Director for Britto Healthcare Limited.
Previously Consultant Psychiatrist: Consultant Psychiatrist Cygnet Hospital Bierley, Bradford West Yorkshire; Merseyside Constabulary Liverpool St. Luke's Hospital Huddersfield; South West Yorkshire Mental Health NHS Trust and Clinical Tutor appointed by the Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, for the Halifax Hospitals: Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry, University of Leeds and Undergraduate Examiner in Psychiatry, for the Leeds University Medical School.
||PROFILE OF MEDICO-LEGAL REPORTS (as at September 2019)
||Medico-legal reports done from 1997 (commenced medico-legal work) to date
||Medico-legal reports-personal injury/medical negligence (Claimant & Defence)
||Medico-legal reports - Criminal cases (Defence & Prosecution)
||Medico-legal reports - (Family & Contact Proceedings, Mental Health Review Tribunals, Disability Living Allowance, Industrial/Employment Tribunals, Teachers' and local authority pension/injury award)
||Court Appearances for Personal Injury Cases, Family/Child Care Proceedings
||Court Appearances for Criminal Cases
||Proportion of work - Claimant Personal Injury Cases (pre/post-CPR)
||Proportion of work - Defence Personal Injury Cases (pre-post CPR)
||Proportion of work - joint instructions
Specialist areas of work
Professional qualifications and memberships
|Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
|Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
|Member of the Institute of Health Service Managers
|Certificate of Health Service Management
|Certificate of completion of specialist training GMC London
|UK Register of Expert Witnesses
||2000 to date
|Member of British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
||2000 to date
|Member of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Association (EMDR)
||2000 to date
|Member of Medical Protection Society
Notable medico-legal instructions
- Expert for victims of the sinking of the Sun Vista Cruise ship in 1999 off the Malaccan Strait.
- Expert of Claimants of Residential Institution Redress Board, Ireland
- Expert for victims of the Lindsey Oil Refinery explosion 2009, Grimsby, Humberside.
- Expert in the Rabone and another -v- Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust - Supreme Court Judgement  UKSC2 on Appeal from  EWCA Civ 698. Article 2 of the Human Rights Act.
- Robinson -v- Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Supreme Court Judgement UKSC 2016/0082.
||Darryl John Joseph
|Date of birth
||11 March 1959
||MBBS, MRCPsych, CertHSM
|Registration (GMC London)|
as a Specialist Doctor
(Principal List No: 3516850)
|European Specialist Registration|
Medical Qualifications Order 1995
Date of Admission. 3 May 1996
||University Of Poona, India
|Post Graduate Education and General Professional Training
||Manchester and Leicestershire Psychiatric Training Schemes
|General Management Training and Qualification
||Certificate Health Service Management,|
Elected Member of The Institute of Health Service Management, London, 1993
|Post-Graduate Management Training
||Completed Foundation year of MBA, University of Durham, 1997
|Section 12(2) Mental Health Act 1983
||5-year re-approval from December 2016
|Continuing Professional Development
||Royal College of Psychiatrists (to date)
|British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies
||Membership No. 110197
|Bond Solon and Cardiff University Expert Witness Training
||Passed written Examination and Cross Examination courses, 2004
||Bal-Chintoba Prize: First in Forensic Medicine, 2nd year MBBS examination, University of Poona, India, 1979
Clinical Research Experience
- A double blind parallel group study to compare the management of moderate and severe Chronic Obstructive Airways Disease with Salbutamol Rotacaps 2mg, 1mg and 400ucg each given 4 times daily (Conducted at the Marsden Hospital, Marsden Road, Burnley).
- Social support and development of Psychiatric disorder after childbirth, Research Collaborator guided by Prof. Brugha, University of Leicester (1989-1991).
- Mphil Thesis, Eating Disorders : University of Leicester (unpublished), Retrospective Casenote study of 500+ Eating Disorder patients referred to tertiary Specialist Eating Disorder Service - Academic Dept. of Psychiatry, University of Leicester.
- Research Collaborator and interviewer for The National Psychiatric Morbidity Surveys of Great Britain - Household Survey, Department of Health, London, UK (1991-1992).
- A 12810104 A phase IIIb, 12 week, Multicentre Double Blind, Double Dummy, Randomised Parallel Group Study comparing the effects of Ziprasidone (40-80 mg bd) -v- Olanzapine (5-20 mg od) on quality of life in the treatment of Schizophrenia and Schizo-affective Disorder.
- Bal-Chintoba Prize: for standing First in Forensic Medicine, at the IInd MBBS Examination, University of Pune, India.
- Best outgoing student, athlete and debater/elocutionist - 1994. Kendriya Vidyalaya Air Force Station, Pune. India.
- Several prizes in debating, elocution, dramatics (effective public speaking and communication skills).
- Best Outgoing Student and Elocutionist of medical school.
- Adjudged 'Man of the year' 1980-81 in the Medical School. This award is given to a Medical Student of the University based on overall performance at studies, sports, leadership, organisational capabilities and creative ideas.
Lectures and Teaching - affiliation to universities
- Keynote Speaker International Seminar: St Francis De Sales College, University of Bangalore, India, January 2017 - Influence of Neo-Freudian Theories in 20th century Literature.
- Keynote speaker International Conference: Gibraltar Health Authority, Gibraltar. Developing a new vision for mental health services in Gibraltar. October 2006 - From Dawn to Dusk - Asyulms to Community Mental Health. Have we got it right? What is the future?
- Speaker at National Conference of Occupational Health Physicians, Cheshire, UK
- Lectures in Psychiatry, University of Bangalore, India.
- Post-Graduate Education Approved lectures (several) - Liaison Psychiatry, Trans-cultural psychiatry, Psychiatric Emergencies/Suicide/Deliberate self harm to Junior doctors in Psychiatric Training Schemes, Specialist Registrars at Post-Graduate Education Centres in District General Hospitals and other settings, Consultant colleagues and General Practitioners.
- Undergraduate and Post-Graduate Psychiatric Tutor in Psychiatry, Halifax, West Yorkshire - University of Leeds (1996-1999). Training of medical students and junior doctors in Psychiatry. Lectures to Post-Graduate Students in Clinical Pharmacy, University of Leeds. Several lectures to General Practitioners in the North of England on psychiatric topics, specially Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression and related topics.
Present consultant appointments - 2006 to date
- 2006 to date - Consultant Psychiatrist, Cygnet Hospital Bierley, Bradford, West Yorkshire
- 1997 to date - The BMI Huddersfield Hospital, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
- 2003 to date - Consultant Clinical Advisor, Psychiatric Claims, Vitality Health UK
- 2001 to 2017 - Force Consultant Psychiatrist Merseyside Constabulary
- Consultant duties at Cygnet Hospital Bierley involve being a Responsible Clinician to 15 patients at any given time, all of whom are detained under the Mental Health Act 1983. These are adult patients in Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit. Previously also involved in treatment of those suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder with complex trauma.
- Undertaking referrals from General Practitioners, Occupational Health Units, solicitors, medical colleagues, psychologists and various health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat mental disorders. This work is predominantly carried out at the BMI Huddersfield Hospital.
- As a Consultant Clinical Advisor to Vitality Health UK, provision of advice and opinion on the validity of insurance claims and policies surrounding mental health service.
- The work undertaken as a Force Consultant Psychiatrist for Merseyside Constabulary involved regular assessment and diagnostic formulation of the employees of the constabulary, advice on occupational health matters such as ability to undertake operational duties, return to work, retirement on medical grounds, disability etc.
Previous consultant appointments - April 1995 to January 2006
- 1 February 2000 - 31 January 2006 - Consultant Psychiatrist, Adult Psychiatry - St. Luke's Hospital - South West Yorkshire Mental Health NHS Trust - dealing with an NHS catchment area in Huddersfield. Community Mental Health work in Adult Psychiatry, including commitments to wards, Multidisciplinary Teams, Audit etc.
- May 1999 - 31 January 2000 - Consultant Psychiatrist - The Huddersfield Nuffield Hospital.
- August 1996 - May 1999 - Consultant Psychiatrist - Calderdale Healthcare NHS Trust - Community Mental Health Development, service provision for Liaison Psychiatry. Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry, University of Leeds; Clinical Tutor for Halifax Hospitals in Psychiatry appointed by Royal College of Psychiatrists, London.
- April 1995 - August 1996 - Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatry, with special interest in Liaison Psychiatry, Shropshire Mental Health NHS Trust, Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Higher Professional Specialist Training in Psychiatry - 1992 to 1995
- 1 April 1994 - 12 April 1995 - Senior Registrar - in Adult General Psychiatry with special interest in Community Psychiatry and Liaison Psychiatry, Shelton Hospital, Shrewsbury, SY3 8DN.
- 1 February 1994 - 31 March 1994 - Acting Consultant - Adult General Psychiatry with special interest in Community Psychiatry, Combined Health Care Trust, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 6QG.
- 1 April 1993 - 31 March 1994 - Senior Registrar - Adult General Psychiatry with special interests in Community Psychiatry and Post-Partum mental illness, Professorial Unit, University of Keele/City General Hospital, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 6QZ. 'The Hospital Doctor of the Year Award Team', experience in child protection case conferences.
- 13 April 1992 - 31 March 1993 - Senior Registrar - Adult General Psychiatry, Royal Shrewsbury Hospital - Shelton, Shrewsbury SY3 8DN.
Post-Graduate Professional Training in Psychiatry - 1988 to 1992
- 1 February 1992 - 12 April 1992 - Registrar, Academic Department of Psychiatry, University of Leicester with special interest in social and community Psychiatry.
- August 1989 - January 1992 - Registrar - Learning Disability, Acute General Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry and Social and Rehabilitation Psychiatry. Experience in Forensic Psychiatry included working in a 45 bed Regional Secure Unit. Competence was gained in the assessment of behavioural abnormalities, the writing of reports for the court, understanding and using security as a means of control and treatment, a knowledge of the Mental Health Act and the range of services available for the mentally abnormal offender. Visited prisons and special hospitals along with consultants.
- 1 August 1988 - 31 July 1989 - Senior House Officer - Salford Psychiatric Post graduate rotational training scheme, and Burnley General Hospital.
General Professional Training - 1983 to 1988
- October 1985 - January 1988 - Senior House Officer - General Medicine, Respiratory Medicine: Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale Health Authority.
- June 1985 - October 1985 - Senior House Officer - General Medicine, Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, Welwyn Garden City.
- August 1984 - February 1985 - Resident Senior House Officer - Academic Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Intensive and Coronary Care Unit and Academic Department of Medicine, St John's Medical College Hospital, University of Bangalore, India.
- March 1984 - August 1984 - Resident Senior House Officer in Intensive and Coronary care unit at St John's Medical College Hospital, University of Bangalore, India.
- December 1983 - March 1984 - Senior House Officer in the Academic Department of Medicine at St. John's Medical College Hospital, University of Bangalore.
- 1982-1983 - House Officer at St. Luke's Hospital, and Nityaseva Hospital, Maharashtra, India.
Committee, organisational and management experience
- Junior Doctors Representative at the Medical Staff Committee, Towers Hospital, Leicester, February 1991 to August 1991.
- Junior Doctors Representative in the "Working Party on Medical Cover for Leicestershire Psychiatric Units", August 1991.
- Member of the "Working Party for Implementation of Care Programme Approach and hospital discharge policy in N.Staffordshire District".
- Member of the Regional working party "Educational goals and attainment for higher professional training for" JCHPT, Royal College of Psychiatry.
- Member of working party "Project Management for initiation of Community Mental Health Teams in Shropshire District".
- Secretary of the "West Midlands Senior Registrars in Psychiatry Peer Group", July94 to April 1995.
- Consultant Advisor Steering Committee "Sectorized Psychiatric Outreach Emergency Service" within Shropshire Mental Health NHS Trust and Shropshire Social Services.
- Member of the Regional Working Party "Management Training for Senior Registrars -A Blue Print".
- Consultant Advisor - Joint Project Working Committee - Calderdale Healthcare NHS Trust and Calderdale Social Services.
- Member of the Mental Health Quality Forum Group - Calderdale Healthcare NHS Trust - Senior Management Level.
- Member of Local Research Ethics Committee, Calderdale Healthcare NHS Trust.
- Yorkshire Regional Psychiatric Tutors Committee, University of Leeds.
- Consultant Advisor for Psychiatry Development, Huddersfield Nuffield Hospital. Member of Medical Advisory Committee, Huddersfield Nuffield Hospital.
- Member of Drugs and Therapeutics Committee, Psychiatric Division, Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Trust.
- Member of Medical Advisory Committee, Clinical Governance and Clinical Audit, Cygnet Hospital Bierley.